« The Reward for Conformity Was. . . | Main | Steve Roesler featured at Inside Knowledge »

Comments

Amy

My bet is that very few people would say they are motivated solely by either one or the other. There are other ways to think about those sources of early happiness on the job. Perhaps a continuum with "manager understands me" at one end of the happiness spectrum and "I rock that job" at the other end, or two 'quantities' that add up to 100%. (I need my boss to understand me about 25%, but the other 75% comes from my own accomplishments.)

Steve Roesler

Amy,

My money is on your representation vs. a dichotomous either/or. (I've found that introducing the extremes helps create a discussion of the fluidity of these kinds of dynamics).

What would help people the most is to pause and recognize what it is that they do need at the moment; then, they can be clear and deliberate about it.

Don't know what you've seen and experienced in this area, but fuzziness isn't a good foundation for satisfaction:-)

Thanks for the continuum, Amy...

The comments to this entry are closed.

My Photo

Steve Roesler, Principal & Founder
The Steve Roesler Group
Office: 609.654.7376
Mobile: 856.275.4002

Enter your name and email address to receive your copy of my coaching eGuide.

Name:
Email:
Human Resources Today
Business Blogs

Name:
Email:

Profiles

  • View Steve Roesler's profile on LinkedIn
Personal Growth from SelfGrowth.com
Archives

Get Updates via RSS Feed


  • Enter your email address in the yellow box for FREE daily updates


    Powered by FeedBlitz

Awards & Recognition...

  • Career 100
Alltop, all the top stories